Reducing Unnecessary ED Visits
At least 8-12 percent of ED visits are for non-urgent conditions. These patients could be properly treated in an alternate care setting, helping to improve care and possibly saving the health care system approximately $4.4 billion each year.
Offered 24 hours a day, the McKesson VITAL Nurse Advice Line is one way to accurately identify a member's needs and ensure he or she is directed to the right care at the right time.
Of the approximately 1 million callers to the VITAL Nurse Advice Line each year, 82 percent with pre-intent to visit the ED are appropriately redirected to a less urgent level of care.
That means the payer experiences savings and the patient gets the right care without a long wait in the emergency room.
An effective nurse advice line ensures that the nurse gives essentially the same recommendations as a physician. To do this, McKesson nurses use patented algorithm-based clinical assessment tools that closely match a physician's questions and recommendations.
In addition to using algorithms, our registered nurses are highly trained, specialized and have on average 25 years of experience managing consumer health issues. Our nurses are at the heart of every successful care management program. They improve outcomes by:
- Providing immediate access to registered nurses 24/7
- Using our unique, evidence-based clinical content model
- Providing coaching for wellness initiatives
- Offering multiple communication channels for members to connect with a nurse via secure email, chat, phone, interactive voice response, mail and text options
- Engaging members through an online portal and wellness tools
- Engaging providers through pay-for-performance, in-person healthcare staff visits and a web-based, single sign-on provider portal
- Delivering top-rated customer service, with an average speed to answer a call of less than 30 seconds
Learn More about McKesson VITAL Care Management
- VITAL Platform: Our Platform consists of workflow software, evidence-based clinical guidelines and decision support tools to improve care coordination, communication and decision making.
- Engagement Strategies: Get providers and consumers more involved in health care through these valuable tools.
- Business Insight: Business intelligence tools that allow you to analyze program data. Specialists to help you make sense of it all.
- Wellness Programs: Our wellness offerings will help keep your healthy members well with a focus on prevention.
- Proven Track Record of Solid Program Results: Allow us to help you improve members' health while achieving savings, as we've done for other health plans.
To learn more about McKesson Care Management solutions or any McKesson Health Solutions products and services, email us at MHS@McKesson.com, call 800-782-1334 or contact your Sales Representative.