Increases accuracy and efficiency of medication dispensing and inventory management in hospital pharmacies.
The MedCarousel® system automates the medication management process, from order fulfillment to patient medication dispensing and restocking. Regardless of the workflow, MedCarousel is an ideal component of any hospital pharmacy due to its versatility.
Aided by rotating shelves, pick-to-light, bar-code scanning and comprehensive, integrated workflow software, pharmacy technicians are guided to medication storage locations, improving picking speed and accuracy. The convenient workflow simplifies medication selection for cabinet restocking, first doses and cart fill. The MedCarousel stores many drug forms-bulk bottles, unit-dose solids, liquids, IVs and odd-form medications. Its advanced software accurately tracks inventory and expiration dates making medication management efficient and streamlined.
The MedCarousel also consolidates and manages medication inventory from multiple locations, including refrigerators and narcotic vaults. This medication management capability enables a "perpetual inventory"-accurate predictions of inventory needs based on historical usage and which avoids over buying.
MedCarousel's unique functionality serves both as a foundation for hospital bar-code scanning projects, and a foundation for pharmacy productivity. Find out more about pharmacy management and how MedCarousel works with AcuDose-Rx® medication cabinets and the ROBOT-Rx® system.
- Reduces picking and restocking errors by 96%(1).
- Shrinks unit-based cabinet restocking time by 82%(2).
- Reduces technician training time by 85%(1).
- Increases inventory turns by up to 65%(1).
- Improves space efficiency up to 60%(1).
- Reduces pharmacist checking time though the use of a bar-code verification process.
- Provides device-level optimization to ensure medication availability
- Assures accuracy and speed in picking via bar-code scanning to identify medications and verify restock locations. Indicator lights guide technicians to the correct level and bin.
- Provides 33 percent more medication storage density for the same number of carriers compared with competitive solutions.
- Prioritizes orders using pre-set parameters, enabling efficient technician workflow.
- Enables the consolidation and centralization of medication inventory for a more efficient and effective pharmacy.
- Manages inventory in satellite locations, as well as on static shelves, in IV rooms, and in refrigerated units, from a single, central location, via the MedShelf application.
- Provides a graphical representation (top down view) of actual shelves for a more intuitive and efficient management of bins/containers for medication assignments and reallocations.
- Applies user-defined parameters to automatically calculate par/max medication levels based on historical usage. This capability reduces medication stock outs and leads to increased inventory turns.
- The optional wireless Ultra Mobile PC improves pharmacy workflow and provides maximum flexibility, enabling technicians to perform cycle counts and satellite replenishment functions as part of the MedCarousel inventory control software.
The MedCarousel integrates directly to Fulfill-Rxsm, providing:
- Reduced time required to receive, check, and put away daily replenishment orders.
- Minimized time to create daily orders.
- Decreased time to complete and value physical inventory.
- Reduced drug spend on non-preferred medications.
(1) Shack, J., Tulloch, S. (2003), Wesley Medical Center continues to improve world class patient safety, generates 211% ROI with McKesson's MedCarousel and Fulfill-Rx (Case Study). Fairport, NY: Shack & Tulloch, Inc.
(2) Shack, J., Tulloch, S. (2008), Rural, nine-hospital system sees huge gains in medication safety, productivity and cost savings with a single-source, single-interface solution (Case Study). Fairport, NY: Shack & Tulloch, Inc.